Do not take paracetamol with these drinks


1. Drink to avoid with paracetamol

Paracetamol is a widely used over-the-counter (OTC) drug to treat pain and reduce high temperature. Headaches, toothache, sprains or colds and flu, this one medicine can provide instant relief from all these health concerns. The usage of paracetamol has even increased during the pandemic to bring down the fever.

Also known as acetaminophen, this drug is inferior to ibuprofen and can only work to treat mild fever and moderate pain. Yet the overdosage or mixing the drug with the wrong drink can lead to severe side effects and can even be threatening to your life.

2. Drink to avoid

Every drug works differently and has a different impact on your health. That is why always ask your doctor how to have them when you are handed over the prescription. Some drugs are to be taken on an empty stomach, while others with milk as they can irritate the stomach lining. As far as paracetamol is concerned there is only one drink that should be avoided: ALCOHOL.

3. ​Why alcohol should be avoided

Alcohol contains ethanol. Mixing paracetamol with ethanol may lead to nausea, vomiting, headaches, fainting, or loss of coordination. Popping paracetamol after a night of heavy drinking to get rid of a hangover may put you in grave danger. The combination of the two can increase the risk of liver toxicity, which can be fatal. Besides, alcohol is also known to reduce the effectiveness of the medication.

Not only paracetamol, combining alcohol with any other drug is not a great idea. Whenever you take medication from a chemist, ask what you can have with it and what you should avoid.

4. The safe limit

Even though paracetamol is a mild drug, you must consume it as a limitation. For adults, 1 gram of paracetamol per dose and 4 grams (4000 mg) per day is safe for consumption. Going beyond this limit can lead to liver toxicity. If you take 3 drinks of alcohol every day, do not have more than 2 grams of paracetamol after consulting your doctor. For children above 2 years, use a pediatric form of paracetamol after consulting the doctor.

If you are taking liquid paracetamol, measure the quantity. Overdosage of liquid medicine is one of the common mistakes people make. The chewable tablet must be chewed properly before swallowing. Even if you are taking paracetamol in limited quantities, do not take it regularly for any condition.

5. Side-effects of excessive usage

Many people are allergic to paracetamol, so before taking the medication ensure that it is not the case with you. If you have a history of alcoholism or liver problems consult with your doctor before taking this OTC drug.

After taking the medicine, if you develop signs of allergic reactions like hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat, seek emergency medical help.